As a 53 year old traveling software consultant. I get asked all the time “How do you stay fit?” So I decided to take all my notes and readings, and narrow it down to 3 things for an easy explanation. Whether you’re just starting out, or looking to improve on what you’ve been doing, these are the 3 things you must live by in order to see true noticeable results.
Here’s what you need to maintain or increase your current condition:
- Be Consistent
- Maintain: Doctors and fitness trainers alike will tell you. You must work out at least 5 days a week for 30 minutes a day to maintain good health.
- Increase: Already have a consistent workout regimen? Workout a minimum of 5 days a week for at least 45 mins to increase your fitness levels.
- Maintain: As I mention in my Beginners Workout the majority of your session should be weights, but you do need some kind of cardio. Based on studies, I have found that simulating HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) cardio workouts produce the best results. Especially for fat burn. 3 mins at low level, and 4 mins at high level. I stress the word “simulating” because true HIIT workouts are for professional athletes. Sometimes taking their bodies to the limit under professional doctor supervision.
- Increase: If you’re really serious, jot down what you lifted this week, and increase it (even by as little as 2lbs) next week. Don’t allow your brain to tell you what you’re doing is good enough.
- Be Nutritionally aware at all times
- Maintain/Increase: This is actually the most important thing you can do irregardless of your goal. I mention in my “Busting Myths About Getting Fit” that nutrition will contribute to 80% of your health results. If you truly want to see those results, as in creating the body that reflects the health, then losing the layer of fat over your muscles is the quickest, and best way. For instance, did you know you already have 6-pack abs? That’s right. You just can’t see them because of the layer of fat that sits on top of them. Lose the fat, do a few sit-ups, then start rockin that half-shirt baby!